OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL CHURCH RELIGIOUS EDUCATION OFFICE
The last month of vacation time has arrived and soon those school bells will be ringing!!! The children will be so sad to see these lazy days of summer come to an end. Parents and children have enjoyed these days of fun in the suns, camping, swimming and time spent with family and friends. The Lord has blessed us with good weather most of the summer and for this we can give praise and thanks.
Now it is time to prepare the students for school and spend the remaining days and weeks in the preparation. May these days of preparation be a time of peace.
A couple of years ago I included in the newsletter an excerpt from ‘HOW MASS CAN MAKE YOUR WEEK BETTER’ written by Lorene Hanley Duquin. Here are a couple excerpts from her article:
She states that research studies show that children who go to mass every week:
- Have a reduced tendency toward rebelliousness.
- Develop a solid sense of right and wrong.
- Have reduced likelihood of using alcohol, tobacco or drugs.
- Improve their attitudes and increase participation at school.
She also says: Mass give your family the opportunity to:
- Seek forgiveness.
- Reach out to others with the Peace of Christ.
- Forgive others during the Lord’s Prayer.
- Come forward to receive the body, blood, soul and divinity of the Risen Christ.
- Bow your head for the blessing and go forth to make the world a better place.
We have been mandated by the Archdiocese of Newark to implement a program that will assist students to know ways they can keep themselves safe. The Blest Are We series that we use in the Religious Education Program will includes in each lesson a topic entitled Family Life. Each week the catechist will have the students remove that page and they will bring it home for parents to read and use with their children.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call me. Thank you for your cooperation.
Sister Regina M. Chassar, ssj
Director of Religious Education